Television set

The Mansfield drug addict tried to replace the TV he stole from his pal

Craig Taylor entered a YMCA-owned property on Brand Lane, Sutton, through an open back door, removed the TV from the wall and pocketed the remote, on August 20 last year.

Sian Young, prosecuting at Nottingham Crown Court, said the 36-year-old was captured on CCTV and identified by a support worker.

When a police officer stopped him on the street two weeks later, Taylor claimed his name was Dale, but later admitted who he was.

Register to our daily newsletter

Mansfield Magistrates’ Court.

He told officers that a bag of white powder was baking soda that he was mixing with crack. A quantity of mamba was found on him.

Taylor’s mother let him stay at her house on March 8, on the condition that he not enter her bedroom.

However, two nights later he did just that and stole £80 worth of Nintendo games, belonging to his grandchildren.

On May 25, he returned to the YMCA hostel and damaged an internal door, which will cost £400 to repair.

Taylor, of no fixed address, admitted burglary, possession of a class B drug, theft and criminal damage.

Read more

Read more

Sutton man set his girlfriend’s house on fire while she and her two children were inside

Mitigating Stephen Burdon said Taylor was visiting a friend legitimately when he stole the TV and then returned with another TV as a replacement.

He said: “However, it was not accepted by the YMCA. It shows his immediate remorse and (that) he tried to correct what he had done wrong. This television was never returned to him.

The court heard that Taylor was angry with the hostel manager because he was wrongfully expelled following an accusation that he damaged CCTV cameras.

“He is currently homeless and sleeping in doorways,” Mr Burdon said. “He keeps in touch with the court through his mother.

“He has told me many times that he is completely disgusted with the way his life has turned out. He wants to change his life.”

The court heard he was in severe pain after injuring his hip and using crack cocaine and heroin. The case was remanded to a rehearing next month and Taylor was released on bail, provided he did not enter Stanton Hill.